A number of Lutheran families moved into the Wheatland Broomfield area in the years of 1870-1871. This early group consisted of thirteen men and their families. The names were:
Friedrich Walch, Jacob Freidel, Michael Koch, Johann Bartmann and Friedrich Diehm.
They were all farmers and all busy clearing the land. Establishing their farms and putting up buildings. Some were too busy to attend church services and with no resident pastor were lost to the church.
Jacob Walch leased a half-acre of land to the congregation without cost. It was located two miles east and one half-mile south of Remus. In 1874 the members built a log church on the land. The church could seat between 50 and 60 people. Pastor Carl Wugazzer caine from Big Rapids on a weekday every four weeks to preach the Word of God. He left for another calling and in 1884 Pastor Alex Lange arrived. He served until 1886 when Pastor George Turek came. Also in that year the members living in the Broomfield Township area requested releases to form a congregation near their homes which is now Zion Lutheran Church. These families: Hummel, Cook, Rhode and Hemmel had traveled, often on foot, eight or nine miles to attend services at the old log church near Remus.
Pastor Turek resigned after serving one year and from 1888 to 1890 students served the congregation from the Seminary in Saginaw and by Lutheran pastors from surrounding communities.
In 1890 pastor C. G. Wagner came. During his ministry the place of worship was moved from the old log church to an old store across from Huber’s hardware on highway M-20 in Remus.
Pastor Wagner left in 1892 and was succeeded by Pastor H. Reimers that same year. It was during his pastorate that the present church was started. Thomas Latham’s grandfather built the basement. The stones were obtained from Ely Gingrich’s farm and the logs from Henry Schneider’s farm. Services were conducted in the basement until the church could be completed.
Most of the lumber used in the building of the church was donated, as was the labor. The altar, pulpit and pews were from black ash logs taken from a local hardwood swamp. These were hauled to the mill in Lakeview where they were cut and dried. Later Peter Diehm, Louis Diehm, Louis Steinman and George Beyer assembled them. The church was dedicated in 1897. The next project was building a parsonage with Louis Diehm and Peter Diehm doing most of the work. It was completed in 1900. The steeple and bell for the new church were dedicated in June 1903.
Pastor Wuerthner who came in 1896 left in 1906. Pastor Adolph Clabuesch succeeded him. As was usual in those days he supplemented his income by keeping a cow, pigs and chickens. He also kept a horse. Pastor Clabuesch died in 1927.
Pastor D. M. Metzger came in 1928 and faithfully served the congregation until his retirement in 1950 when he moved to Lansing where he celebrated his 100th birthday on February 20th.
Pastor Markus Koepsell served as pastor for the next seven years when Pastor Theodore Kuske who served from 1957 until 1962 succeeded him.
Pastor Edwin Schmelzer came in 1962 and is presently the pastor. The church basement was enlarged in 1966 and the present organ was purchased the same year. In 1969 the new church addition was dedicated more than doubling the size of the old church. Approximately five additional acres ad-joining the church were purchased for expansion. A new parsonage is now being built.
During the month of July 1974 St. Paul’s celebrated its centennial with special services of thanksgiving for 100 years of blessings.
The Lord truly has blessed St. Paul’s and we pray that He will continue to pour out His blessings on the congregation and the people of the community.